Saturday, October 29, 2011

Time To Catch Up

It's been quite a while since I have updated here (since before our move). There has just been so much happening that I get a little overwhelmed when I think about sitting down and catching up on our blog. There have actually been a few times recently that I have thought about giving up on my blogging all together. But all it takes is one look back at all of our past posts, dating back to our honeymoon, and I realize that I have to keep the story going. I suppose it's a pretty good little story for our kids one day. I even found a great website that will print out the blog in the form of a book, pictures and all. So here I go...attempting to catch up on everything going on with us.

Our Move:
From the time that Dave accepted his new job in Oklahoma, we had exactly 2 weeks before he started the job. I really could not have done it without the help of my incredible mother in law. I was still in that yucky, exhausting part of my pregnancy...and packing a house was just so overwhelming. So Marla came and rescued me, taking care of a lot of the details. And of course, it all got done! We got the U-haul loaded and took off for Oklahoma. Once we were here, my family came up from Texas to get us unloaded and set up. But before they even arrived, Dave's new boss and his family, some of his new co-workers, and several of the college athletes showed up and unloaded the entire truck. I left to get some food for our lunch before they even arrived. By the time I got back, they were almost finished. It was such a huge blessing!

Since then, we have been settling in. We absolutely love the area! We have gotten pretty familiar with where things are. We have even found our way into the nearby big city several times. We have explored the zoo (BEST zoo I have ever been to...by far), the aquarium, and lots of parks, etc. It took a little hunting, but we have found a church to call home...and actually have already started in our new small group already.

My mom came and stayed with us for a week while my dad was on a business trip. It was so great having girl time. We did lots of shopping and playing. And of course, she kept Brooks so Dave and I could have a few date nights! I kid you not...I did not do one dish or one load of laundry while she was here. It was so great to have so much time with her. It made me so thankful that she is so close now...time with family is so precious.

Dave's parents also came for a visit this past weekend. I tell ya what! We are so blessed to have so many loved ones...and so many people that love and adore our little Brooks. We had a great time showing them our new home and surrounding area. They loved exploring a nearby museum and the aquarium. It was a nice, low key weekend with lots of time to talk and just relax together too.

Hank
As most of you know, we had a very short time to find somewhere to live when we moved. And unfortunately, the place that we felt was best for our growing family will not allow "large" dogs. And apparently, Hank is considered a "large" dog. So I set out to find him the best possible home I could find him. Hank is such an awesome dog. Great with kids and so spunky! So I wanted to make sure he ended up somewhere he would be as loved and adored as he was with us and little Brooks. I also really wanted him to be with someone I knew so I could still keep in touch. My cousin Trey and his wife, Hilary, live in Texas and have a 2 year old little boy who loves dogs. I knew that they had talked about getting a dog, but had a hard time deciding on what dog to get. So I asked them to think about if Hank would fit in their family. Sure enough, they welcomed him with open arms. Hank is so happy where he is! And as much as it broke my heart to give my sweet baby away, I know he is being loved and spoiled in Texas....where I can see him again!

It's A Girl
We had a sonogram at 16 weeks and 4 days. That is considered pretty early to tell the gender of the baby, but we sure were hoping! Mom kept Brooks for the day, and Dave and I headed to meet the new doctor (and our beautiful baby). The sonogram technician told me from the beginning that she doubted we would find out. But then she told us that she REALLY thinks it is a girl. Of course, I had to ask her how sure she was...and she said 90 percent! Boy howdy, did the tears start flowing! She made sure to tell me that we should not go crazy buying pink stuff yet, or at least without saving the receipt. But whatever! I can't wait to have a sweet, pink, baby girl. And Dave is already talking about his rules for dating. We have another sonogram next week...so we will find out for sure. But at least for now, It's A Girl!!!!! Now if we could only decide on  what to name our precious princess.

Saying Goodbye to Grandpa
It's hard to even find the words for this next part. Let me start by saying...I have never known a man like Dave's grandfather, not sure I ever will know another one like him. Until I met David, I kind of thought that good men were a myth. Well not really - but few and far between. And then I fell in love with Dave! And then I met his father, Mike, another amazing man...and it was very obvious that Dave was the man that he was...because of the father that he had! And then, I met Wendell, Dave's grandpa. And it all made sense!

He was the kindest, strongest man. He loved his wife and his boys with all of his heart. He adored his grandchildren and lived to be a part of their lives in every way he could. His strength of character and integrity were just unimaginable. He was an example of loyalty and devotion to those around him. He was truly remarkable!

After moving to South Dakota, Dave and Brooks and I were blessed to get some real special time with Grandpa. How we will treasure those 17 months that we spent with him.

Dave's Grandma Betty passed away early this summer. And since then, Grandpa's health had been fading. On October 11th, Grandpa Wendell went home to be with his Lord and Savior. (And to see his wife again!!!) It truly leaves a hole in our hearts. It makes me sad that Brooks will probably never remember Wendell...but thankful that we have had him our lives so much these last few years.

We did make it back to South Dakota for the funeral. Grandpa's small town actually closed all of their offices for the day. That evening he was honored at the high school football game, where they announced that they will be naming the new stadium after him. The next day, the whole family went and watched my brother in law, Josh, coach his football team in a winning game. Josh was wearing Grandpa's hat...and had reserved his seat in the stands. What a great way to end our trip!

Brooks
I cannot believe how big my baby is getting. It forces me to realize that he's really not even a baby anymore. Brooks is one-of-a-kind. It is amazing to see his character develop...and to see how much of myself and Dave he has in him. Although...neither one of us can figure out where in the world he gets his stubbornness from?!?!? Huh...guess it's a mystery!

He amazes us with his learning every day. It's so fun to watch him explore the world around him and learn about his environment. He is REALLY into animals right now. He loves to read his zoo and farm books and make animal noises.

Last weekend we went to the Aquarium. It was fascinating to see his little hamster wheel turning as he watched the fish, turtles, and sharks. Although, the stingrays were his favorite. He said "ish, ish, ish" (fish) for 3 hours straight.

Boy howdy! It will be interesting to see how he reacts to a little sister. For now, he just carries around a little outfit that my mom got her with a lion on it, and makes roaring noises. I take it and put it back in the closet, but he always grabs it and pulls it back out.

And of course, we are going through the belly button phase. So if you see my child, and he lifts your shirt to find your belly button, please forgive us!

Well, I think I did it! I think we are all caught up. Please enjoy some recent pictures!


Brooks and Dave looking at the colorful fish.


What an awesome lionfish!


He still loves bath time. Now he LOVES to splash. We found these fun little tablets that change the water different colors too.


All bundled up in South Dakota for a football game.



Eating cookies with my cousins after a long afternoon playing!


I just love this gap-toothed grin!


That is one beautiful boy!


All played out!


Granpda Wendell tailgating in September.

This is the last picture of all four Davids. (David Wendell, Michael David, David Gareth, and Brooks David).

This day was the best day ever. Grandpa was in the nursing home for a few months. We would go visit him on Sundays after church. This day we took Lincoln and Rylee too. It was a beautiful day so we pushed him all the way downtown in his wheelchair to have lunch. The kids all rode their bikes and followed.

Brooks is just chillin' on Grandpa's lap.


Lunch at Grandpa's Favorite Cafe.


After lunch we went back to the home and played outside. The kids were drawing pictures with chalk. Grandpa loved just being around the kids!

After we played for a while, Grandpa asked if we could go for a drive around the lake. So we drove around, stopped at a park for a while, and got some ice cream for the drive home.
What an awesome memory!

At Chuck E. Cheese - always ready for a good time with family.

Always drinking a Mountain Dew.

Sitting in Wendell's reserved spot at the football game. Not the best picture...a few heads got cut off...sorry!

And finally...my favorite picture ever of Grandpa Wendell. This was last November in Arizona. They moved the recliner outside for him so he could relax in the sun. I love it! We sure will miss him!

No comments: