I remember when I was 6, there was a mean girl in my class that
always picked on me and made fun of my eyes. She said they were an ugly
color and that they were too far apart. She liked to laugh at me with
all of her other mean girl friends. At the tender age of 6, it
absolutely broke my heart. And it made me believe that I had ugly eyes
and that they were too far apart. I went home crying to my momma, who
tried to reassure me that I was beautiful and that my big blue eyes were
beautiful.
But deep down, I didn't believe her.
Because moms have to say that you are beautiful. But other people
don't. So obviously Nicole (that was the mean girl's name) was telling
the truth. Obviously I had ugly eyes that were too far apart.
It
took years for me to believe that I am beautiful and that my eyes are
not too far apart. It took years for me to learn to block out what
those mean girls had told me.
Thankfully though, I
was not friends with those mean girls. I learned early on that I don't
want to be friends with mean girls, if that's how they treat each
other. And thankfully, I have always had very true, very loyal
friends.
Presley is not even two years old yet,
but it absolutely breaks my heart to think that one day she will have to
learn the mean girls lesson. It breaks my heart to think that some
mean girl might make her question her worth, her beauty, and her purpose
as a child of God.
This being a parent thing is
hard. Really hard. I remember my mom told me that having a child makes
you feel like you are walking around with your heart outside of your
body. Yep. That's about right.
It's not just Presley.
It's my sweet Brooks too. In a world with so much hurt, so much pain,
so many "mean girls"...how do you teach them to listen to the voices
that matter and to ignore the ones that don't? How do you teach them
that their worth is in the eyes of their heavenly Father, not in the
eyes of the world? It's a daily struggle for me lately. And I don't
think I will ever have all the answers. I think I am gonna be on my
knees, praying for wisdom and guidance for David and myself for many
years to come.
But for now, all I can do is love them
unconditionally, be the voice that encourages them, and the arms that
hold them...on the good days and the bad days. All I can do is teach
them that what matters is their heart, and that they are children of
God.
Thankfully, I have the amazing support of many
fabulous friends and fantastic mommy friends. Real friends, always
ready to encourage me and support me and pray for me (and with me).
That is priceless to me. My prayer is that my children will be blessed
with friendships like the ones that I have been blessed with. My prayer
is that my children will have friends that point them towards Christ. Friends that remind them that what matters most is their heart.
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
1 Samuel 16:7
No comments:
Post a Comment