Brooks won his class spelling bee and was so very excited to participate in the school spelling bee. He worked so hard to learn to spell some ridiculously hard words! He did not win, but we are so proud of him!
The holidays were very low key this year, but we still found some ways to make it special. Presley found an elf in our Christmas things and named her Snowfall. She asked us to move her around and have her do silly things, so we had some fun with that. Our yard also got "elfed" when we donated to a local charity. Celina Fire Department had Santa come through the neighborhood on the fire truck. We stayed up WAY too late waiting for the truck, which finally sped by quickly around 9:30. We did go visit Santa for our annual picture, but had him wear his shield once the kids took down their masks. And of course, we drove around and looked at Christmas lights!
We decided not to go to Arizona for Christmas, which ended up being a good decision since Mike and Marla got Covid.
The Friday that school got out, I was sent home early with a fever, congestion, and trouble breathing. I went to get a Covid test and then went to the doctor in Celina. They didn't want me to come in the building since I had a fever, so she came out to the parking lot and gave me a steroid injection in my hip, through the window. I guess there's first time for everything. They also sent me home with antibiotics.
I stayed upstairs, pretty miserable, for several days. Honestly, I started thinking I probably had the virus. But early Wednesday morning, I got negative results. In the meantime, Dave had started to feel under the weather, but also tested negative thankfully. Just in time for Christmas Eve Eve. We had lunch with Gammy and Paw Paw and exchanged gifts. Then on Christmas Eve, they came over for dinner and watched the Christmas Eve church service with us.
Christmas morning was great! The kids loved their gifts...and we spent the day relaxing.
A couple of days later, we headed to the cabin to get away for a couple of nights. We took a little day trip from the cabin to Robbers Cave, about 70 minutes away. It was beautiful! I'm sure we will go back again.
Still not feeling well, I had some lab work done, and was told that my mono had reactivated, which explains why I've been so tired and achy for several weeks now. So I will be spending the next few days resting up for when school starts again.
And now, here we are, ringing in the new year, 2021. A vaccine has started to be dispersed to at risk patients and healthcare professionals, as the numbers are soaring. Joe Biden has been elected President and there is another round of stimulus checks heading to many Americans. This year has been long, hard, and devastating for so many. Everyone is ready to put it behind us and start new. However, there are many parts of this year that will forever be in my heart: the extra family time, the extra memories, the time spent with neighbors, learning to not take things for granted, and getting back to the basics in so many ways.
I am praying that 2021 will bring peace: Peace in the hearts of so many that have lost loved ones this year. Peace in our broken nation. Peace in our broken homes. And on a personal level, I am praying for peace that comes from trusting that God is good, all the time. The peace that comes from knowing that he is in control, even when sometimes it doesn't feel that way. The battle over death and darkness has already been won. This year, I pray for the peace that comes from fully surrendering my will and my desires to what HE has for me.





















No comments:
Post a Comment