Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Little Of This...And A Little of That

Things have been so crazy at our house!!!   So much has happened since the last time I blogged.   Here are some quick updates.  

My new job: 
Love it! Love it! Love it!  I love my new team, how organized this district is, and my principal is great!  I have a precious little class.   I only have 18 first graders, which is a great class size. (Last year I had 24 adorable kindergarteners).   However, 12 of them are boys...and I only have 6 sweet little girls.   But they are awesome.  The beginning of the year in first grade is so much different that the beginning of the year in kindergarten.  I am amazed at how much these kids already know!!!

Anyone that knows me a little knows that I am OCD when it comes to being organized and feeling prepared.  So I have been getting up at 5:30 and going to bed at 11:00, working on getting my ducks in a row.  I have to admit that I have been pretty exhausted lately.  And my poor husband!  He is used to a clean house, a stocked fridge, clean laundry, and hot dinners.   But the past three weeks he has had none of the above.  As a matter of fact, he is the one holding the fort down.  I have not been getting home until about 6, and even then I am bringing work home.   He has even been helping me cut out a bazillion little games for the kids.  With all of our recent travels, I have not had the weekends to work on things and get caught up.   Luckily, I am finally starting to feel like all of the pieces are coming together, so next week I will be getting back to my normal schedule.

Arizona: 
In mid August, we went to Arizona for a long weekend to see Dave's cousin Brock get married to Kendra.  We are super excited about them getting married, especially since they might be moving to Dallas soon.

We got in on Thursday night and stayed till Sunday afternoon.   Friday we spent the morning at his parents' house with his nephews and niece.  Marla had gone to get Lincoln and Rylee on Thursday so that we could spend the day with them.   Erin had to work on Friday...so we got to keep little Logan too.  It was great to spend the day with all of them.   After hanging at the house for a while, we went to Aunt Vicki's for lunch.  That night, Marla made a wonderful spaghetti dinner and all of the family that was in town (about 40 people) came to eat and hang out and watch Michael Phelps kick butt! 

Friday night was Kendra's lingerie shower, so I went with Erin and Stacy.  We had a great time, but got home really late.  Not because we are party animals, but because we had a little incident with losing Erin's keys.

Then Saturday, Dave and I got up early and went to have breakfast with my girlfriend, Amanda, who used to live here in Dallas, but now lives in Phoenix.  We had a great time visiting with her and her family...her little girl is a doll.

Saturday afternoon and evening we were at the wedding and reception! It was beautiful and so much fun.   Then Sunday morning all of the family (and many of Kendra's family) came back to Mike and Marla's for breakfast and a church service.  It was a great time!  We always have such a great time when we go there.

Colorado:
We spent Labor Day weekend with my brother's family in Colorado.  We flew into Denver on Friday night and got to their house at about 1:00 am (a delayed flight and a 2 hour drive from Denver).  Saturday morning we all got up and had a great breakfast.  We went back to the house for a while and hung out there.   Then we headed to the Royal Gorge Park and took the train through the bottom of the Gorge.   It was awesome!   Then Greg made us dinner at the house.   After the kids were in bed, we all watched a movie.  Well, the guys did.  Beth and I fell asleep on the couch.  Sunday we went to church and then headed to Breckenridge (an hour and a half drive) for the day.  We had a really great time walking around with the kids and going in all of the unique shops.  After a great dinner at "Downstairs at Eric's", we headed home.  Monday we headed back to Denver, but did get to drive through The Garden of the gods in Colorado Springs.

The kitchen:
We have had some serious kitchen drama since the night before our wedding, when the microwave broke.  Because it was one of those double units from like 1946, it has been a pain in the butt.   The homeowner's warranty company ordered us a great new microwave, but because the previous one was attached to the stove, we ended up buying a new stove.   Now the new microwave is too heavy for our cabinets...so we are looking at having to replace those. We have been spending quite a bit of time at Home Depot.  I am so ready for my kitchen to be put all back together again.

Upcoming:
We are looking forward to a great fall.  Tomorrow we are going to be celebrating my my nephew Jake's 10th birthday at my mom and dad's.  Next weekend we will head to Austin for the UT and Arkansas game.  Dave's cousin Courtney and her husband Forrest will be flying in to go with us!  My friend Greg's wife (they live in Austin) is due to have their baby girl any day now...so we are really hoping that we will get to meet that sweet little one while we are there.

The weekend after that Dave will be heading back to Arizona for the ASU and Georgia game.  Originally I was going to go, but I really don't feel comfortable taking a day off of work yet. Also, that is a big weekend for Willie and Waylon (our 5 month old baby kitties).  They will be losing their claws and their manhood all in one day.  So I will be here taking care of them for the weekend.   That weekend will also be a big one for another reason.  Our friend Carolyne has agreed to come help me paint our bedroom while Dave is gone.  My husband has a huge fear of any color that is not brown or blue, so we thought it would be best to paint while he is out of town.  We also have several friends that have new little ones that have just arrived or will arrive shortly (Angie and Hal, Greg and Jen, Chris and Kristine, Missy and Doug, and I'm sure some we aren't aware of yet).  Lots to look forward to.

No comments: