Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Joy Comes in the Morning

Last night was awful. Just awful. I didn't get to bed until very late, and was up way too early. 

My heart was completely broken after watching footage of a peaceful protest in Dallas, that suddenly turned horrific when a sniper shot 14 police officers and civilians. 5 police officers, all fathers, lost their lives. I cried. I prayed. I mourned. I was absolutely sick at my stomach, grieving this horrible tragedy. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. But Presley spent the night at my mom's last night, and I had promised I would take Brooks on a breakfast date. 

So I drug myself out of bed, and this little guy came walking in. 

Me - Why are you all dressed up this morning?

Brooks - Because. Just you and me are going to get breakfast. That's like a date. And I wanna look nice for you. 

Be still my heart. So thankful for this little fella and his ability to always make mommy smile.



Our breakfast cost $17. But I left a $20 tip. My heart was so broken, and I wanted to make someone smile, to give someone a little extra hope. 

So as we left I asked Brooks, "do you know why mommy left so much extra money?"  

"Yes," he said. "You were spreading the love of Jesus."

The world could use a lot more hearts like his. 

No comments: