It all started on Saturday, February 25th. I just felt kind of funny that day...and had started really feeling anxious and emotional. Before Dave left to go to a baseball game for the college, I told him "make sure your phone is on because I feel like we might be having this baby today." Well, we made it through that day. But early Monday, February 27th, at 1:00 in the morning, I woke up when my water broke...3 weeks early. After finally convincing my husband that I did not just wet the bed, and that it was time to go to the hospital, we called our friend Amanda to come stay with Brooks. We were headed to the hospital! On the way, we called my parents (who also did not believe that my water had broken) and asked them to head to town.
With Brooks, I had to have an emergency C-section because of my high blood pressure. They tried to induce me first, but his heartrate dropped drastically and they had to take him. We were thrilled that he was here and healthy, but I was kinda bummed that I had to have a C-section. So we decided that instead of having another C-section with Presley, we would try to have a normal delivery. There are only a few doctors in Oklahoma that will do this. But we found one...and we were ready to give it our all.
By the time we got to the hospital, my contractions were stonger, but I was barely dilated. As a matter of fact, 12 hours later I was still barely dilated. So they gave me some Pitocin to try and speed it up. The contractions kept coming stronger and every minute, but still very little progress. In the meantime, every time I had a contraction, Presley's heart rate would drop from 140 to 55. I was getting really concerned about how the labor was affecting her. They called my doctor who came immediately and told us that he was certain the cord was around her neck. He said if I was further along, he would just speed it up and deliver me. But because I was not, he felt she was in danger and wanted to do a C-section immediately. At first, when he said that, my heart sank a little, because I had REALLY wanted to have her the good old fashioned way. But that didn't last long when I realized that she was in trouble.
It never ceases to amaze me how God works out all the details. Not only was the cord around her neck, but it was also tied around her feet, which is why she was not coming down into the birth canal. We feel so blessed that Dr. Thompson stepped in when he did and delivered our sweet girl. He told me later that it could have been very dangerous if we had tried to keep going.
Within seconds, I was on my way to surgery. I remember they wheeled me in at 4:27 in the afternoon. She was born at 4:31. And they wheeled me out at 5:01. 34 minutes from start to finish...amazing!!!
Presley Elizabeth
February 27, 2012
6 pounds, 15 ounces
19 3/4 inches long
4:31 pm
Meeting her "Gammy" for the first time
Proud momma
Daddy and his beautiful babies
How tired does he look?
Heading home
Such a big boy now!
He just adores her. We are so thankful.
Wearing her new bow from Aunt Mel.
Momma's little dress up doll.
Our little sleeping beauty.
Look who found the baby powder.
"Daddy does my hair"
She looks like Brooks in this one.
Look at that big toothy grin! I sure love this kid!
He can't keep his hands off of her.
Still trying to figure out where he fits in all of this.
Rubbing noses with Sissy.
Princess Presley Elizabeth
So we have been busy adjusting to life with 2 little ones. My mom came and stayed 9 days, which was awesome. I didn't cook, clean, do a dish, or wash any clothes at all. She took such good care of us, and Brooks loved having her all to himself! After she left, my girlfriend Melissa came up from Dallas to meet Presley and help out. It was great having her here and getting some time with her. Dave even watched the kids one night so we could go get a margarita!
Presley is just the sweetest little thing. She is such a good baby. She hardly ever cries, even when Brooks screams in her ear or pokes his finger in her eyes. Now, if only I could convince her to sleep as much at night as she tries to during the day.
Brooks is adjusting much better than we expected. He is quite protective, getting upset and running to her if she starts crying. When she does cry, he mimics her, going "wah, wah, wah". The other day we were all at the doctor's office for my checkup and a woman walked in holding a baby carrier. He got all upset and started crying, thinking she had "our baby". Once I showed him that I still had Presley, he calmed down. I can't wait to see how these two get along as the years go by.
So I guess that catches us all up. We just feel so incredibly blessed!!! We are looking forward to an upcoming visit to Dallas, as well as a visit from Dave's parents for Brooks' 2nd birthday in a few weeks. I can't believe he is 2!


No comments:
Post a Comment