We have had SO much going on lately that I've really gotten behind on this blogging thing. So I thought I would just use some pictures to catch up on our story.
Our sweet little boy turned 3 on April 1st. We had a simple little party at our church with his friends. We did a little Easter egg hunt and some cute little Easter games. This was the first year he really understood that the day was all about him!!! He loved every precious minute!!!
The next day was Easter Sunday. After doing their little Easter baskets, we headed to church. Dave's parents got Brooks a membership to the zoo for his birthday. The weather was absolutely perfect that day, so we left church and headed straight to the zoo, where we spent most of the day.
That next day was Brooks' actual birthday. Dave took the day off to spend with the family. The weather had shifted and it was starting to get pretty cold. We headed to the park for a while, but ended up getting pretty wind-blown. So we took Brooks to Pet Smart so he could look at the fish (he loves this!!!). Then we headed to Hobby Lobby (another of his favorites), so that he could pick out a craft for us all to do together. It was a great day!
Next up was Dave's 39th birthday. One more year until the big one!!! It was a work day, so we surprised him with a little family party when he got home that day. We made him some cupcakes (yes, those are cupcakes!!!) and a special dinner. We had a great evening celebrating the best husband and Daddy in the world.
The next few pics are from Brooks' first fishing trip. For Christmas last year, Dave asked that I get some fishing poles for him and Brooks. This was the first chance they got to use them together. Brooks loved it!!! Until the fish started wiggling on the end of the line. Then he screamed like a little girl at the top of his lungs.
This is the face my boys make when I tell them to smile. Hmm...do you think they look alike?!?!?
Okay, notice Brooks' face in the next picture. Proud as can be of his little fishy!
And then...the fish started moving. Can you just see the stress on his face in the next picture?
Feeling Brave Again
So we are right in the middle of tornado season. And I'm telling ya...this is some scary stuff. We do not have a storm shelter. And we really don't have a fantastic place to go either. Our downstairs bathroom is on an outside wall. And there are windows pretty much everywhere. So we crawl under the stairs.
When those news stations start telling about all the different tornadoes on the ground in your area, it becomes really real...and really scary.
So I did what any good thinker would do?!?! I went and bought helmets for the kids and myself...and put them in our tornado spot. Ya know, cause helmets will help if the walls come crashing down around us. And don't ya'll worry about my husband. I put his old football helmet under there JUST IN CASE. Boy, that paints a funny picture. I know, my poor husband. He did draw the line when I told him he should wear a whistle. Ya know, so people could find us. And yes, I know I need help!!! But ya just never know.
Here are my children sporting their tornado helmets the day we got them.
Other than that, we've been doing the regular summer thing. I keep a couple of extra kids during the summer. So we have been spending lots of time outdoors. We also are in a playgroup with church friends, so we have been going on some fun outings as well. My little blondies are getting even blonder with all of this sun!
And finally, we said goodbye to Dave's old 1993 suburban. (And my minivan too). But the suburban thing was a little bittersweet. Brooks absolutely loved daddy's truck, playing in it and riding in it. And in my heart, that big ole thing represented the sacrifices that my hubby was willing to make to keep me at home with our babies. It represented simplicity and contentedness in our lives, knowing that we will never be rich, and being just fine with that. But being thankful for God's provision and the precious gifts that HE has blessed us with! And speaking of gifts, look at those two babies...playing in Daddy's truck one last time. Man, I love those kids!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment