Apparently they were watching TV, when she started to feel funny. So she tried to put up the chair rest on her recliner. When she went to do so, she had no control of her arm or hand. She immediately knew what was happening, and tried twice to tell my Dad that she was having a stroke, but couldn't form any words.
He knew what was happening, put aspirin in her mouth, waited for me to get there, and then took her to Plano Presbyterian Hospital. Courtney came to get Emma, and then we took Emma to Dave, so that Courtney could take me to the hospital. I was pretty upset and didn't want to drive.
Once there, they took her blood pressure, which was 190/90. They did a few CT scans that confirmed she had a sub cortical stroke. They gave her a new clot busting drug that only stroke centers have on hand. Praise God they did, because she started to make remarkable improvements after that.
Mom was in the hospital for several days. Several of those she spent in ICU, due mostly to possible side effects of the drug they had given her. She had an MRI that showed she had a sub cortical stroke. Basically, the way it was explained to us, was that it was in the highway of the brain (the white matter). She was weak, could not control her body, and could not speak well. It was very scary, and it became a reality to me that my parents are aging, and will not be here forever.
One day was particularly awful. She wouldn't let the kids or Dave see her, and screamed at me when I brought Presley down the hall with me. She was embarrassed, which I understand, but it was hard to watch her be so vulnerable and know how much she was hurting emotionally also.
The next day I went up to stay with her so that Dad could go to an important meeting. I packed a bag with shampoo, a blow dryer, a brush, a toothbrush, and toothpaste. As soon as Dad left, I got her all cleaned up. Then I put some praise music on my phone, and read her the Bible. It was a very special time that I will forever cherish. After that, she started to make great strides. She wanted to try to walk down the hall, so we did that. She started joking around a little bit. I started to see her personality shine through again.
Within days, she was home again. The doctors had recommended that she go to an inpatient facility to rehabilitate, but she wanted to go home. For several weeks after that, she went to physical, occupational, and speech therapy.
Today, it has been 5 months since the stroke. I am amazed at how far Mom has come in 5 months. She is walking and talking almost 100%. She is still anxious about driving and being alone with the kids, but that is completely understandable. I am so thankful for my momma,and have learned to cherish every moment I have with her. We have been spending a lot of time together since the stroke. And I think it has brought out a softer side of my dad also. To both me and Mom.
In all things, give thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment