Friday, July 11, 2008

Aruba - Day 5

This will be an update from Dave, that is why Wednesday is being written on Friday!!

Molly and I had decided we'd had enough of spending $20+ on breakfast, so we bought some cereal and milk the night before to take advantage of eating in our rooms.  Did I mention that it cost almost $20 and lasted only 1 meal, the portions are a bit paltry!!

After "breakfast" we decided today was a good day to ride the wave runners finally.  It was no problem jumping right on and going, but the barrage of saltwater in our eyes took some adjusting.  Molly and I raced around and explored the boundaries that were set, only to get in trouble from some 10 year old running the shop because we were racing our machines too close together.  Apparently he didn't know my wife races professionally back home. After our little adventure on the high seas we decided that some fresh water was in order and headed back to the pool.  Since this is a family resort and there are tons of kids in the pool, I'm guessing the water's not real fresh after all....but it was better than a liter of saline in the nose!

We had reservations with a snorkeling company at 3:00 so we left the room early to go exploring in the shops nearby.  Due to our experiences with the weird poet taxi driver from earlier, we took the bus!  We had some good fun purchsing some things to bring home to nephews and nieces, then went to grab a bite to eat.  Since there was to be an open bar on the boat, I figured a couple of Fruit Loops wasn't going to get the job done there!

From there we went aboard the "Jolly Pirate" to do some snorkeling.  We went to a fun little spot just off the shore up the coast.  Many of you may know this was Molly's first time snorkeling and she had a ball, with some adventures along the way.  First she was so excited to get in the water, she jumped off the side of the ship with the captain standing there holding her mask and snorkel.  We got her all set and off she went exploring.  As soon as she put her head in the water and saw a fish, she almost yanked my mask completely off trying to get my attention.  After she adjusted to her surroundings and realized that this fish had several hundred more friends just like him nearby, we had a great time.  Finally the captain got everyone on board and off we went to the German Antilles ship wreck.  Long story short, the Germans sank their own boat during WWII so the Dutch couldn't gain possession.  To be honest it was kind of a let down, it was a rusty boat in over 60 feet of water YEA!  When everyone had enough fun there we slowly headed back to the coast to give everyone a chance to use the rope swing.  Basically it is a rope on the bough of the boat and you can fly out to the side and jump in the water.  We took a pass.  It was by far more interesting watching the newly graduated girls on board get totally drunk and make fools of themselves with their "dancing".  That is putting it nicely for those younger eyes reading this, it was a disgrace!!  What was truly sad was their parents were on the boat and didn't seem to mind, I guess it makes it ok to do if your parents are watching.  We both agreed that we appreciated our parents having more class than this!!

When we returned to the dock we had to use a smaller boat to get everyone off the pirate ship and back to land.  As we got there the captain stopped a few feet short and I jumped out first to give Molly a hand getting down.  In the process we learned that only Jesus can walk on water.  I guess "jump down" means the same thing as "take a big step and see what happens"  It isn't!!  My beautiful wife fell face first into the sand and got soaked in the process, I could've helped more if I wasn't laughing so hard.  Sorry, but is was very funny.  Classic Molly!

We finally got her cleaned up and we walked across the street to dinner at Iguana Joes, a little Mexican place right near where we started.  They had the best tea on the island so far.  I highly recommend it to all of our Texas friends looking for a fix.  After that we rode the bus back to our hotel, with our experiences with taxis, I don't have the courage to face any more poems.

The trip has been fantastic and exactly what we hoped it would be.  This is getting pretty long and I'm a tired boy, so off for some good rest. C an't wait to see everyone when we return and share our pictures and stories.

No comments: