Thursday, July 17, 2008

Staying Behind

Well after my trip to Care Now, things just got worse. I called Monday afternoon and they upped the dose on my muscle relaxers hoping that it would help. It didn't!!! I woke up Tuesday morning and could not move the upper left side of my body or barely hold my own head up. My left arm was curling up to my chest and it was pretty scary. I had no idea what to do...

So Dave helped get me dressed (it was really quite amusing listening to him try to get my nappy ponytail into a hat). I knew it was pretty serious and that I probably needed to go straight to the hospital...but since his chiropractor was open, we gave it a shot. That was a waste of time because he felt my neck and told me that the problem was in my cervical discs and that it was too swollen and risky to try to do anything. I asked if acupuncture would help with pain and he tried that...it didn't!

So we get me back in the car and I just break down crying, scared! We went straight to the ER by my mom's house so she could meet us up there. I could not have been happier with the staff there. They got me straight in the back and were all so sweet and kind. Immediately they give me about 4 shots in my hiney! One of them was quite the magical medicine as I soon was completely in LaLa Land (where I remained for the whole day). They did an MRI and said that my C5and C6 discs were bulging and affecting the nerves in my arm, shoulder, and neck. That was why I could not move my neck and my arm kept curling up. After spending some time there, and getting more LaLa injections, they released me with a lengthy list of medicines to get the swelling down and said I should follow up with a spinal surgeon this week (I'm not open to that as an option right now). Apparently the curve in my neck is completely opposite of what it should be and it is causing the problems with my cervical discs.

Dave stayed as long as he could, but eventually I convinced him I was fine with my mom and sent him to work. Mom took me to her house to sleep..and made me an appointment with the chiroprator I used to see several years ago. He also did several x-rays and got a full picture of what all is going on. He started me on a therapy plan (including electronic stimulation, laser, and ultrasound therapy). I will also be doing spinal decompression therapy to relieve some of the pressure on my nerves. My third session was today and I am so thankful for the relief it has brought so far. It looks like I will be spending quite a bit of time at his office in the next few weeks. It is slightly inconvenient that I am not supposed to be driving and his office is a good 30 minutes from my house. Luckily I am incredibly blessed with so many people that have been more than willing to help out.

Unfortunately the doctors were adament that I am pretty restricted in what I can do right now. I had 3 doctors tell me that flying was a huge risk...and could be dangerous because of my swelling. I am just so heartbroken that I am not able to be with my new hubby at the big family reunion, but it is a blessing that I was feeling well enough for him to still go. We were really torn over what to do...if I should try to go...if he should still go. However, since we made the decision and put him on the plane, I just know this was the right decision. So now I am focusing on getting all better so that I can hopefully make it to Austin with him next week. I hate not being able to be with the family, but we will be going to his cousin Brock's wedding in Arizona, so I will get to see the family soon!!!

Back to bed now!

No comments: